Monday, July 9, 2007

Odds on Favourites - Knee Knacker




This year's Knee Knacker is going to be a barn-burner, literally (the heat) and figuratively (the competition).

No disrespect intended to the rest of the competition, but Suzanne Evans (Course Record Holder - 5:18) is as close to a sure fire thing as you can get these days on the women's side. She is an incredible runner and is improving with age. Assuming her fitness has improved since the Ottawa Marathon where she ran 2:46, Suzanne has a shot at making it into the top three again this year, if not an outside shot at winning it all. Wouldn't that be cool?

On the men's side, there are no less than ten men contending for the win:

1. Kevin Titus - the course record holder is 50 now, but is apparently as fit as ever. The guy is tough as nails.
2. Peter Findley - the six or seven time winner and former course record holder is back for another crack at the title.
3. Mark Bates - this former world class triathlete has won the last two races fairly handily and has just as good a shot as anyone at taking it again.
4. Kevin Vallely - this guy is a monster athlete. two years ago he dusted the entire field at the Kusam Klimb by 15 minutes and looked ready for another round when we ran into him later that day. Kevin is one of the legendary three who once ran the West Coast Trail in just over 9 hours with only six power bars to speak of!
5. Keith Wakelin - Keith won his first and only KK back in 2001 where he spanked me by over 16min. Built like a bull dog.
6. Oliver Utting - this former national track and field team member (Marathon, Edmonton World Champs in 2001) has a 2:19 Marathon PB to his name. Apparently isn't so nimble on the downhills, but with wheels like his, I'm sure he can make it up in other ways.
7. Gord Corby - he's a bit of a dark horse as he rarely races, but when he does, watch out. He somewhat famously came out of nowhere to win STORMY four years ago. Apparently he's got a pretty quick Ironman (sub 9) PB to his name.
8. Chris Downie - 190lbs of solid trail runner. This guy can climb with the best of them and he absolutely rocks the downhills. Top 5 for Chris.
9. Kim Steed - although this is Kim's first Ultramarathon (at least as a runner), he is an aerobic machine (and a wicked guy). He doesn't have the front end speed, but he's tough both mentally and physically. Could finish as high as seventh, depending on how badly the front end beats itself up.
10. Me (Eric Langhjelm) - of course I have to include myself (whether I warrant mention or not...it's my blog!). "My" year to win it was 2002, but I had a complete mental collapse and ran like a rookie. I have few regrets, but wasting my fitness (and nearly a year of complete focus and dedication) that year has never sat well with me. I don't have the 31-32 min 10km speed that I had five years ago, but my stamina is vastly improved. If I run smart - controlled and patient - I have a shot at top three. But who knows, I could break 5 hours and not even make the top 3.

In addition to those mentioned above, there are at least 10 other guys with previous top 5 performances to their name who could wreak havoc this weekend. Sorry guys...be nice if you pass me.

I'm excited and can not wait to get up on Saturday morning. It's going to be hot, it's going to be fun (in a weird way), and the beer at the banquet is bound to be amazing!

Run Strong!

Eric

No comments: